Former Generations actress, Katlego Danke (Dineo Mashaba) bounces back on TV

generations-wedding
After taking a brief break to enjoy motherhood, former Generations star Katlego Danke is back on television.

Danke, famous for her role as Dineo Mashaba on the SABC1 soapie, has been unveiled as one of the presenters of Powerball alongside newcomer Lawrence Maleka, starting on Tuesday on e.tv.

"I am excited to be back. I am looking forward to working with the new team," she says.

Danke is among the Generations actors who were sacked by producer Mfundi Vundla last year after going on strike.

The case of the 16 actors is still going on at the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration.

Danke's new job is about calling out numbers and creating instant millionaires, a far cry from the high drama of the soapies and the intense public scrutiny that the actors have to endure.

The eight-months break seems to have brought magic into her life. She says motherhood has changed her perspective on life.

The 36-year-old gave birth to a baby boy eight months ago but is not ready to share anything more about him with the public.

However, she admits that she found motherhood fulfilling.

"It is challenging but I enjoy every moment. Being a mother has changed my life radically because I now know there is someone that I am responsible for," she says.

Danke believes she had her son at the right time. She says, "I am matured enough. I feel it was the right time for me and I was actually ready mentally, but I would not suggest that other people should have kids at my age."

"What I know is that it is important to understand yourself first before bringing another person into your life."

Now that she has a child, Danke says she wants to achieve all her dreams while exploring her talents fully.

Aside from acting and presenting, she is a motivational speaker and MC.

She is, however, unwilling to divulge much about the projects she is working on but is quick to say it will take some time before fans see her in a soapie or drama again.

Her television career began on the soapie Backstage.

She later joined Generations, where she made a breakthrough in her acting character playing Dineo Mashaba.

Danke had time to do some serious introspection into her career and life while away from work.

After 15 years as a professional actress, she now wants to take up directing, producing and writing.

Danke, who started acting at five, has been performing almost all her life. Her first break was in radio dramas at the legendary Radio Bop in Mahikeng, North West.

The pint-sized Danke was born in Pretoria but has lived in various places while growing up, including Mahikeng, Potchefstroom, GaRankuwa and Mabopane.

She holds a BA Honours degree in theatre and performance from the University of Cape Town.

Her talent as an actress has not gone unnoticed. She won the Best Actress Award at the 2010 South African Film and TV Awards (Saftas).

While studying in Cape Town, she did a few theatre productions such as Beyond The Veil, The House of Kalumba, The Town That Was Mad, King Lear, The Suit, Miss Tertiary Feel, and the opera performance of Macbeth.

Danke has also acted in SOS , What's Bothering Marc Lottering , Sewende Laan , Backstage and a film called Eine Liebe in Afrika .

Having a baby has opened some doors for her because she landed the prestigious brand ambassadorship for international baby product Philips Avent.

Danke devotes a lot of her time to charity and giving motivational talks to the youth on behalf of numerous organisations including the Sonke Gender Justice Network, The national Department of Health, the ANC Women's League and the World Bank.

Also read: See her(Dineo) photos from Generations on the wedding with Phenyo

I was abused by my former Zimbabwean Husband says Tshidi from Generations the Legacy

Generations the Legacy struggling with viewership

Muvhango wedding pictures of Thandaza and Ranthumeng

Thembeka and Quinton's wedding on Scandal

Comments

• dineo mashabaFORMER Generations actress Katlego Danke just became the latest of the infamous “Generations 16” to land a new job!

The last image Mzansi has of her is that of a heavily pregnant woman just fired from Generations.

Katlego’s new home is e.tv as she is now Powerball’s new presenter.

She told SunBuzz she hasn’t hung up her acting gloves and has no plans of turning her back on the craft any time soon.

She was happy to take a job that will still allow her time to spend with her son.

“Besides that, presenting Powerball has given me a chance to grow my career.

“It’s different from anything I’ve done before. I think it was good for me to take up a new challenge,” Katlego said.

Mzansi got to know the actress as Keketso Chaka in Backstage.

Thereafter, she joined Generations in 2007 as Dineo Mashaba.

“Acting is my passion and it’s something I see myself doing as much as I can. I’m always on the lookout for a character that speaks to me. And it doesn’t matter if it’s a soapie, drama series or a movie. As an actress, you always look for an exciting and challenging role. It should make you want to do the best you can,” she said.

Last year, Katlego became a mum for the first time, subsequently landing a prestigious brand ambassadorship for Phillips Avent.

“My son’s birth was an absolutely happy moment and I still enjoy the time I spend with him. Unlike the soapie world where one can end up working all day, Powerball happens two days a week and that’s great for me and my little boy!” she said.)  Powerball is on e.tv Tuesdays and Fridays at 9pm.

http://www.dailysun.co.za/news/2015-06-07-katlegos-new-power