Is the China and Africa relationship a win win situation?

There are 54 countries in Africa, and the Chinese presence in each will vary of course. There are individual interests, society's interests, corporate interests, and state interests on both sides, too, which further complicates this. And it's highly subjective. It would be very hard to find consensus that a relationship has been mutually beneficial across all of these different individual/social/corporate/state interests.

From the perspective of all actors, it would be as hard to find an unambiguously good case as an unambiguously bad one. For every example of a highway that's boosted internal commerce there's another one that's only been used to export raw materials without "beneficiation." For every Zambian copper mine where workers are exposed to dangerous conditions there's a great example of a water purification plant that's brought potable water to people and prevented disease. For every team of Chinese doctors in Ebola-stricken West Africa there's a team of Chinese oil.

I don't think I can necessarily say this is a win-win situation. I do think that this is a situation where neither party loses. It's never a bad thing for once-isolated countries to develop more relationships with the outside world, and even in the case of the most exploitative relationships (China paying a dictatorship relative peanuts to extract resources) the African side would still be getting some benefits while retaining ultimate control over the situation. Angola, say, could always say no.

Africa can have a brilliant future, but it needs investment and trade from the wider world to do so. How could it abstain from the world's largest economy? Why would it want to?

This just forms my introduction as I continue my research on this. The community is asked to contribute to this discussion. We would like to approach this with an unbiased view. I will keep adding to this discussion as well as the community.